Check the most commonly asked questions
- Level of fuel poverty
- Remote/Rural Locations and the impacts of this on energy bills / Off-grid energy supplies
- Age and situation
The Home Heating Support Fund has relaunched this year, this means that even if you applied in previous years, you may apply again. Please be aware that some of the eligibility criteria have changed, so a successful previous application does not guarantee an award this year.
Charitable support can be provided to people with no recourse to public funds (and therefore also those with pre-settled status).
As long as all of the other eligibility criteria are met, people who are in Scotland on visas with no recourse to public funds can apply to the Home Heating Support Fund.
It is vital that we have the correct information when processing awards, if an incorrect phone number or account number is entered, this could result in a payment being sent to someone else.
Advice Direct Scotland is not responsible for payments made in error due to incorrect information being provided.
The following documentation can be used as evidence to support applications –
- Living in a rural or remote area – Proof of address such as a utility bill or statement from your fuel supplier, council tax letter, lease/tenancy agreement, benefit award letter.
- Over 75 – Proof of age such as a birth certificate, Passport or drivers’ licence
- Medical or disability benefit – relevant benefit letter, bank statement showing payment or DS1500 form. The letter or statement must be in date and show your name and address
- Use of medical equipment – Letter from a medical body or occupational therapist. Photo evidence of equipment will be accepted when supplied along with corresponding benefit evidence.
- Off Grid or use of alternative fuel – Bill or statement from alternative fuel supplier
- Local authority or foster care leaver – evidence of pathway plan, correspondence from social worker or personal advisor
- Scottish Child Payment – relevant award letter or screenshot from bank statement, must show name and address
Photocopies, electronic documents, images and screenshots are acceptable forms of evidence. Please do not send official documentation by mail.
To help us make the right award, we would like to know as much as possible about your situation and the challenges you are facing. You can give us information about how the cost-of-living crisis has impacted you:
- Do you need to choose between paying for fuel costs or food and other essentials?
- Are you getting into debt with your fuel supplier or does paying for your fuel mean that you build up debt in other areas like rent, mortgage payments or council tax?
You can also tell us about your housing situation:
- Do you need to keep the house warm due to a medical condition, or because you have young children?
- Maybe you have to weigh up the cost of travelling to work, with the cost of heating when working from home?
- Let us know if your home is damp or mouldy due to a lack of heating?
The more information you can give us will help us when considering your application.
Once you have submitted your application form, and all required evidence, our team will process your application and make a payment from the fund. Depending on how you pay for your energy, you the payment will go directly to your supplier, or may be sent to you as a voucher:
Credit customers including alternative fuels:
Payment will be made directly to the energy supplier (Make sure your customer or account number is entered correctly)Payments can take up to 14 days once sent for your supplier to allocate to your account.
Prepayment Customers – payment will be made by voucher (please ensure contact number or email are correct so voucher can be sent):
- Post Office – Payment of Post office vouchers will be processed weekly on a Thursday. The vouchers should be received by Wednesday the following week.
- PayPoint – PayPoint voucher will be delivered by SMS within 9 days of confirmed approval.
Weekly recurring vouchers will begin the day after and continue until award is exhausted.
Please Note – Follow up vouchers will be paid weekly.
The fund is open until March 2024 or until funds have been exhausted.